BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

1.31.2011

Post #7: Crumbly Ricotta Cheesecake

I had the inspiration to make this cake the other day when I opened my fridge and saw a tub of ricotta cheese in there from the last time I made lasagna.

I can't remember the last time I made lasagna.

Don't worry, the expiration wasn't until March, but I figured there was no time like the present.  Like my orange chicken, this recipe was adapted from the original that I did a keyword search for on food.com.

This cheesecake it not like a traditional cheesecake.  It has crust on the bottom and top, and instead of being thick and rich, it is more light and fluffy in the middle. The recipe for the crust was a little much - I still have about 1/3 of it in my fridge waiting to be made into tarts or squares or something!  It could easily to halved - making it more ass-friendly.  ;)  Also, I used lowfat ricotta cheese, sparing at least some calories.  I also don't own a springform pan (sad day, I know!), but a well greased round cake pan worked like a charm!


Crumbly Ricotta Cheesecake

Ingredients:

CRUST

  • 2 1/3 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 cup cold butter, thinly sliced

FILLING

  • 14 ounces fresh ricotta
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (I used peanut butter milk chocolate ones!)

Directions:

Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs
  1.  Preheat oven to 320°.
  2. Grease and flour a 9" springform pan.
  3.  For the crust, in a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, egg, and milk.
  4.  Add the slices of cold butter to the mixture working it in gently, but not so much that everything blends together.
  5. Take half the crust mixture and press it gently into the bottom of the pan.
  6. In a medium size bowl, mix the ricotta and sugar well.
  7. Add the chocolate chips mix again.
  8. Spread the filling evenly over the top of the crust.
  9. Crumble the remaining crust mix over the top of the filling.
  10.  During the baking process the butter melts to form a nice crust.
  11. Bake 50 to 60 minutes.

3 comments:

Barbie said...

Looks delicious! Nice pictures!

Sandi said...

My picture skills are lacking. The natural light in the apartment sucks. But thanks for the comment anyway! :o)

Dreams of cakes said...

Thanks for the lovely recipe.